These are my book notes of Overthinking by the author Robert Leary.
Let’s dive in.
- Title: Overthinking
- Subtitle: How To Declutter And Unf*ck Your Mind, Build Mental Toughness, Discover Fast Success Habits, Thinking & Meditation, Mindfulness For Creativity, Slow Down The Brain And Be Yourself
- Author: Robert Leary
- Author’s website: Profile on Amazon
- First published: 2019
- Type: non fiction
- Genre: self-help / self development / meditation
- Rating: 3/5
- Recommended: Yes
Table Of Contents Of The Book
- Chapter 1: What is Overthinking?
- Chapter 2: What Causes Overthinking?
- Social Expectation
- Social Media
- Chapter 3: Information Overload
- Information Overload and Decision-Making
- Moving Away from Information Overload
- Chapter 4: Declutter Your Mind
- Effects of a Cluttered Mind Over Time
- Harmful Coping Strategies
- Let’s Declutter
- Finding Your True Passion, Reason, Purpose, or Goal
- Chapter 5: Declutter Your Environment
- Chapter 6: Form Good Habits
- Chapter 7: Remove Negative Influences
- Chapter 8: Mindfulness
- Positive Thinking
- Cultural Backing for the Effects of Positive Thinking
- Chapter 9: A Good Night’s Sleep
- Effects of Inadequate Sleep
- Circadian Rhythm
- What Happens When We Sleep?
- Making Changes
Key Concepts & Ideas
There are many, many causes of overthinking, many catalysts that trigger the bad habits of overthinking which can lead to anxiety and excessive worrying.
These are not pleasant emotions, and what can seem like simply being careful and thinking things through can easily turn into something much more serious and damaging.
An occasional bout of worry is perfectly normal, but when a person’s life becomes plagued by constant worry about things that could happen without a good reason or basis, that person may be suffering from anxiety.
A few, common triggers for overthinking include:
- Social Expectation
- Social Media
All of these lead to information overload.
You understand where some of your biggest overthinking triggers are, you’re working on gradually removing or lessening the things in your life that tend to cause information overload.
Decluttering your mind is all about eliminating those thoughts which are affecting you negatively.
Harmful coping strategies include smoking, drinking, and other drugs.
These temporary fixes do a lot more harm than good when it comes to coping with a cluttered mind.
But more than just the issue of running away, think about the quality of a life that is filled with mindless, distracting behavior.
What are you really growing toward?
What is your meaning and purpose?
Decluttering your mind means waking yourself up to your true goals, desires, passions, and values in your life.
Robert Leary On Forming Good Habits
Focusing on getting rid of the bad habits isn’t enough.
Now, we need to introduce good habits into our new life.
- Journaling is a great way to keep your mind focused and record your progress
- Eating healthier
- Making time for you simply mean setting aside time every day to engage in an activity that makes you feel good and calm you
- Part of forming good habits is learning when to say no to something that you just don’t have the mental energy to do if it is non-essential.
- Gratitude is a powerful thing for the mind
- Meditation, for many people, translates to practicing mindfulness throughout each and every day. To others, meditation means a dedicated space of time each day or week that is used for formal meditation practice from a specific school of thought or philosophy.
- One of the easiest aspects of our lives to overlook when we’re focused on self-improvement is sleep.
- As you continue to practice good habit forming in relation to getting a good night’s sleep, you will start to see drastic improvements in how much energy you have in the morning, your attitude, productivity, and overall sense of wellbeing.
My book notes only cover small parts of the book.
So if you like what you read, please consider buying the book from the author.
Thank you for reading and stay awesome,
Tim for Online Business Dude
PS: Start And Grow Your Own, Profitable Online Business From Scratch, Step-by-Step, Today!