The 5 AM Club by Robin Sharma [book notes]
These are my personal book notes of The 5 AM Club by the author Robin Sharma.
|Title||The 5 AM Club|
|Subtitle||Own Your Morning. Elevate Your Life.|
|Buy the book||The 5 AM Club on Amazon|
‘World-class begins where your comfort zone ends’ is a rule the successful, the influential and the happiest always remember.
Robin Sharma – The 5 AM Club
Table Of Contents
- Title Page
- Message From the Author + Dedication
- 1. The Dangerous Deed
- 2. A Daily Philosophy on Becoming Legendary
- 3. An Unexpected Encounter with a Surprising Stranger
- 4. Letting Go of Mediocrity and All That’s Ordinary
- 5. A Bizarre Adventure into Morning Mastery
- 6. A Flight to Peak Productivity, Virtuosity and Undefeatability
- 7. Preparation for a Transformation Begins in Paradise
- 8. The 5 AM Method: The Morning Routine of World-Builders
- 9. A Framework for the Expression of Greatness
- 10. The 4 Focuses of History-Makers
- 11. Navigating the Tides of Life
- 12. The 5 AM Club Discovers The Habit Installation Protocol
- 13. The 5 AM Club Learns The 20/20/20 Formula
- 14. The 5 AM Club Grasps the Essentialness of Sleep
- 15. The 5 AM Club Is Mentored on The 10 Tactics of Lifelong Genius
- 16. The 5 AM Club Embraces The Twin Cycles of Elite Performance
- 17. The 5 AM Club Members Become Heroes of Their Lives
- Epilogue: Five Years Later
- What’s Next on Your Heroic Adventure?
- Fuel Your Rise by Reading All of Robin Sharma’s Worldwide Bestsellers
- About the Author
- Also by Robin Sharma
We’ve encouraged a culture of soft, weak and delicate people who can’t keep promises, who bail on commitments and who quit on their aspirations the moment the smallest obstacle shows up.
The moment when you most feel like giving up is the instant when you must find it in you to press ahead.
All change is hard at first, messy in the middle and gorgeous at the end.
A society of adults behaving like spoiled little children is how I sometimes see our world right now. Not judging, just saying. Not complaining, just reporting. Hey, cats, here’s the point I’m trying to make by letting you have a peek at my sculpted abs:
Nothing works for those who don’t do the work.
Less talk and more do is what I say.
5 Rules for Results
- RULE #1 – An addiction to distraction is the end of your creative production. Empire-makers and history-creators take one hour for themselves before dawn, in the serenity that lies beyond the clutches of complexity, to prepare themselves for a world-class day.
- RULE #2 – Excuses breed no genius. Just because you haven’t installed the early-rising habit before doesn’t mean you can’t do it now. Release your rationalizations and remember that small daily improvements, when done consistently over time, lead to stunning results.
- RULE #3 – All change is hard at first, messy in the middle and gorgeous at the end. Everything you now find easy you first found difficult. With consistent practice, getting up with the sun will become your new normal. And automatic.
- RULE #4 – To have the results The Top 5% of producers have, you must start doing what 95% of people are unwilling to do. As you start to live like this, the majority will call you crazy. Remember that being labeled a freak is the price of greatness.
- RULE #5 – When you feel like surrendering, continue. Triumph loves the relentless.
The 3 Step Success Formula
The beginning of transformation is the increase of perception. As you see more you can materialize more. And once you know better you can achieve bigger.
The great women and men of the world – the ones responsible for the magical symphonies, the beautiful movements, the advancements of science and the progress of technology – started by reengineering their thinking and reinventing their awareness.
In so doing, they entered a secret universe that the majority could not perceive. And this, in turn, allowed them to make the daily choices few choose to make. Which, automatically, delivered the daily results few get to experience.
The 4 Focuses of History-Makers
The Flow State is the peak mindset that all exceptionalists like top violinists, iconic athletes, elite chefs, brilliant scientists, empire-building entrepreneurs and legendary leaders inhabit when they produce their finest product.
The hero does not become great during periods of comfort. The illustrious and noble souls of our world became strong, brave and moral whilst standing resolutely in the storms of adversity, difficulty and doubt.
It is in the moment that you face your deepest weakness that you receive the chance to forge your greatest strengths. Real power, then, comes not from a life of ease but one of intense effort, devoted discipline and demanding action in the direction of what your supreme self knows to be right.
To continue at a time when you ache to stop. To advance when you long to quit. To persist in the instant when you feel like giving up is to claim your membership among the great warriors and honorable characters who led humanity to a better place through their earned invincibility.
The 5 Scientific Truths Behind Excellent Habits
- Truth #1: World-class willpower isn’t an inborn strength, but a skill developed through relentless practice. Getting up at dawn is perfect self-control training.
- Truth #2: Personal discipline is a muscle. The more you stretch it, the stronger it grows. Therefore, the samurais of self-regulation actively create conditions of hardship to build their natural power.
- Truth #3: Like other muscles, willpower weakens when tired. Recovery is, therefore, absolutely necessary for the expression of mastery. And to manage decision fatigue.
- Truth #4: Installing any great habit successfully follows a distinct four-part pattern for automation of the routine. Follow it explicitly for lasting results.
- Truth #5: Increasing self-control in one area of your life elevates self-control in all areas of your life. This is why joining The 5 AM Club is the game-changing habit that will lift everything else that you do.
The 3 Values of Heroic Habit-Makers
- Value #1: Victory demands consistency and persistency.
- Value #2: Following through on what is started determines the size of the personal respect that will be generated.
- Value #3: The way you practice in private is precisely the way you’ll perform once you’re in public.
The 1 General Theory of Self-Discipline Spartans
To regularly do that which is hard but important when it feels most uncomfortable is how warriors are born.
The 20/20/20 Formula
The Journaling Habit
The Pre-Sleep Ritual of Iconic Producers
The 10 Tactics of Lifelong Genius
If you knew how much work went into it, you would not call it genius.
- The Tight Bubble of Total Focus (TBTF)
- An addiction to distraction is the death of your creative production.
- Your attraction to digital interruption is costing you your fortune – financially, cognitively, energetically, physically and spiritually.
- The Tight Bubble of Total Focus strategy preserves your focus as well as your primal brilliance by giving you long stretches of time free from trivial fascinations and any influences that dissolve your inspiration – and deteriorate your A-game. Each morning, you enter this invisible bubble of your own making that is completely empty of other people’s superficial messages, spam, fake news, advertisements, silly videos, irrelevant chatting and other forms of cyber-hooking that will destroy your life of monumental potential.
- The 90/90/1 Rule
- Doing real work versus artificial work, daily and with absolute consistency, will give you a Gargantuan Competitive Advantage born of mastery.
- Productivity of virtuoso-level quality is rare.
- For the next ninety days, schedule yourself to invest the first ninety minutes of your workday on the one activity that, when completed at world-class, will cause you to own your field.
- The 60/10 Method
- Research supports that the greatest performers don’t work in a linear way.
- After you’ve run the 90/90/1 segment of your workday, use a timer and work at your best for sixty minutes straight while sitting or standing quietly, in your Tight Bubble of Total Focus.
- After your sixty-minute productivity sprint is done, refuel for ten minutes.
- The Daily 5 Concept
- The 2nd Wind Workout (2WW)
- The 2 Massage Protocol (2MP)
- Traffic University
- The Dream Team Technique
- The Weekly Design System (WDS)
- The 60 Minute Student
My personal book notes cover only a small part of Robin Sharma’s book The 5 AM Club. I barely scratched the surface of this book… So if you like what you read, please consider buying the book on Amazon.
Thank you for reading and stay awesome!
Your Online Business Dude