Frustration. That’s what I sometimes feel when I witness first-time online business owners and new affiliate marketers make these mistakes.
I’m constantly working with aspiring, beginner affiliate marketers.
It’s - most of the time - awesome work and I just enjoy working with self-driven, highly motivated, and goal-oriented clients.
But it’s often also disappointing and frustrating to see the same mistakes being made over and over and over again.
This short list gives you a good idea why most people struggle with their online business.
Let’s dive in.
The Reason ‘Why’
I created this list for two reasons:
- After finishing reading this short article, you are aware of challenges, and you can mentally prepare yourself for it. You know what you can expect.
- I want to give you hope as it is possible, you can overcome these obstacles as many successful entrepreneurs before you did
This is hard. But it can be done.
It’s good that it’s hard because it keeps 95% of people out, which means the rewards are bigger for the rest of us.
You’ll be proud of your work.
Mistake No 1: Not Working Consistently Enough While Seeing No Results (Yet)
- especially when starting out, there’s a lot of work that needs to be done
- it takes consistent, daily action to get off the ground (aka the grind)
- if it was easy, everyone would be doing it, everyone would be rich
- the valley of disappointment, the tough times actually are the reason why not everyone is able to do it. It’s supposed to be that way! 🙂
- it’s tough to stay motivated over longer periods of time, especially when you have not great results to show for (yet). Do you have the resilience and patience?
- it takes some time and effort to start building and seeing momentum
- it comes back to “what do you want” and “do you really want this bad enough?”
- do you have a compelling reason ‘why’ you’re following through?
Mistake No 2: Spreading Your Attention, Not Staying Focused On One Thing
- there’s a million different, working business models
- choose one. Stick to it
- it’s actually not too important which one you choose, as this process is less about immediate results but more about the person you become in the process
- you’ll learn valuable skills
- you’ll become a practitioner of your craft and a ruthless executor in the process
- you’ll learn that marketing actually is your business, no matter what you do, no matter what’s the deliverable
- jump from one opportunity to the next, again and again, and in 5 years from now you’ll be in the same spot, starting all over again at 0. Probably with less energy and motivation, if you haven’t given up on the way… This shiny object syndrom kept me personally stuck for years - don’t make the same mistake!
- choose something that you like. One process, one proven system, one mentor that you connect with and then stick to that chosen one thing until you succeed
Mistake No 3: Worrying About Things That Might Come Up 3 Years From Now
- don’t worry about minor, less important, less urgent things
- do the important stuff first: Marketing and sales, focus on income producing activities
- without sales you have no business, cash-flow is the lifeblood of businesses
- don’t screw your customers, always make sure to help your clients, value first
- with affiliate marketing (done the right way)], you don’t have to worry about negative cash-flow, product creation, or market validation. You can solely focus on the highest value activity: The marketing of it.
Mistake No 4: Waiting For Permission
- nobody will come and rescue you
- you need no endorsement
- stop waiting, start now
- you don’t need permission from anyone but yourself
- I can give you all the information and tools that you need to start and grow a successful online business, and I’m here to help when you get stuck. But I’m not here to motivate you, and you’ve got to do the work.
- You have to be willing to do the work.
- Don’t wait for permission. It’s an illusion anyway. There’s no gatekeeper anymore, you can start today.
Mistake No 5: Fear Of Failure
- You will make mistakes. Just as I did. Who cares?
- What do you have to lose?
- You either become successful or you figure out this is not for you - either way, you win!
- You will gain valuable insights and learn more about yourself, no matter your future path
- You will learn valuable marketing skills, no matter what
- Don’t worry about the opinion of somebody else, especially if you wouldn’t ask that person for advice! Social anxiety was a major obstacle for me. It’s an illusion.
- “Yes, I want to start soon (wantrepreneur), I just need some more information!” That’s BS. That’s simply your fears speaking. It’s not real. Get over it.
- Work with what you have now. You don’t need to invest into a $99 per month page builder to make money online
- You don’t need more information. You have it all at your fingertips.
Get this, implement it, get results.
It’s that simple.
That’s all I have for you today.
I hope you find this article helpful!
Thank you for your interest and stay awesome,
Tim for Online Business Dude
PS: Get The Free Online Business Blueprint (PDF):